Victim Advocate

Advise victims of crime on the legal options available to them.

Quick Stats

Very Good

Salary Range
$19,000 – $45,000

Data from U.S. Department of Labor

What do Victim Advocates do?

A crime doesn’t necessarily end when Police Officers and Lawyers succeed in hunting down the criminal and putting them on trial. Victims of the crime continue to feel the emotional, psychological, and even financial damage long after the attack. Victim Advocates help others put their lives back together, and also serve as buffers between their clients and the callous legal world.

Your first responsibility as a Victim Advocate is offering support and comfort to those who come to you for help. You help each person look at the various legal options and other support services available to them so they can decide what’s best for the situation. Consolidating resources helps put all options out on the table so the people you’re helping can focus on healing instead of worrying about the details.

If your client goes to court, you help file the paperwork and explain the situation to them. Legal cases are stressful enough, but when the case deals with a sensitive topic like an attack, it can be too much for a person to handle alone. A Victim Advocate serves as both an Advisor and a Translator, explaining the legal jargon and counseling others on the best course of action.

Working as a Victim Advocate can lead to other social service careers — as a Social Worker, for example. What unites your talents together is your desire to help others so they can heal and move on.

Should I be a Victim Advocate?

You should have a bachelor's degree or higher and share these traits:
  • Helpful: You always keep an eye out for what other people need.
  • Levelheaded: You hold your emotions in check, even in tough situations.
  • Reliable: You can always be counted on to do a good job.

  • Also known as: Boy's Adviser, Domestic Violence Advocate, Shelter Advocate

    How to become a Victim Advocate

    Most Victim Advocates have a Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree. Start by getting your Bachelor's degree. Chart?chd=s:ipk9ja&chl=no+college+%2826%25%29|certificate+%2812%25%29|associate%27s+%288%25%29|bachelor%27s+%2847%25%29|master%27s+%287%25%29|&cht=p3&chs=466x180&chxr=0,26,47
    Schools close to

    You May Also Like

    Careers Similar to Victim Advocate